Tuesday, March 25, 2008


It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of someone else's life with perfection"-The Bhadavad Gita (ancient Indian yogic text)

My lovely friend Nicole (thanks dear!) emailed me the above quote (see, we are all just inspirations to one another) and it got me thinking.

Make of the quote what you will, but here's what I take from it on this Happy Tuesday. I think it is so easy to get caught up in what someone else thinks is the "perfect life". Yesterday I was watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother that my wonderful office mate, Matt, has me hooked on. In one particular episode, two of the main characters, a couple, decide that they are going to try to change the way they are living their life. They want to fit in with their other married friends, so they start having wine tastings, scrabble night, whatever they think that the other people might like and what might be a part of those other people's lives. They soon realize that they have to live the life that they enjoy (for them it is a different life than that of their friends) and that the life they enjoy is just fine for them. They don't have to live what someone else thinks is a good, fun, or enjoyable life. They get to decide what that life is.

The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You don't blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the President. You realize that you control your own destiny--Albert Ellis

I think we are often sold what it is we should be wanting in life. What kind of car we should be wanting to drive, what neighborhood is the best place for us to live in, what clothes we should be wearing, what professions are valuable...I think that it takes a really strong person to stand up and decide for themselves what their best life is. To not let society, our peers, or our own insecurities dictate the life we lead is a difficult thing to do. I think it is easy to live the life that is easily outlined for us--dictating for us who to be and what to do. But is that the life you want?

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives and create a monster they call destiny--John Liver Hobbes

I say go out today and make your own mistakes. Thereby making your own destiny and your own unique, beautiful, inspiring, and imperfect life. It's all yours! Enjoy it!

It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.--Jean Nidetch

No comments: