Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ease Up

"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday". -Winnie the Pooh

Those who know me know that I often am in a state of constant motion. I much prefer to be active and doing something, rather than sitting around.  I often have a very hard time just doing nothing. Sitting is not one of my strong suits. However, I think the universe is telling me to ease up and slow my roll as of late. I injured my foot and have been literally forced to slow down--my daily walking has become more of a mindful meditation instead of a timed route to work. My desire to give up my seat has become a selfish need to sit down. 

I think it's been a good lesson for me. Sometimes it's a good lesson to just take it easy. It's also made me think of easing up on myself. While striving to be better people we are often very harsh on ourselves and don't give ourselves a break. I think everyone is just doing the best they can. As I have my boys in class do, give yourself a pat on the back today. Ease up on yourself, on others that you may be judging or impatient with, on that cashier that's taking too long, on the person walking too slow in front of you. 

As I make my slow pilgrimage through the world, a certain sense of beautiful mystery seems to gather and grow. -A.C. Benson

I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back. -Abraham Lincoln

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character, would you slow down? Or speed up? -Chuck Palahniuk

No comments: