Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Everyone is gifted, but some people never open their package


After a long talk with my wonderful mom on Sunday, my heart was lighter and my head much clearer. She said something to me that I'm really trying to keep hold of:

The care you have for people is your gift. Don't ever let someone change that in you. You just find someone who deserves it -Judy Shamblin 

For me, I get myself in trouble caring too much and I've been told that I should be more withholding of my attention and affections. Talking to my mom reminded me that, no, I am who I am. It gets me hurt sometimes. Maybe sometimes people don't reciprocate. There has to be (and I know there are because some of these glorious folks are a part of my life) people who accept it, feel they deserve it, and welcome my love and care. I think that in my close personal relationships, that is my gift. I don't want to be afraid of sharing that gift. I don't want to keep it for myself. I want people in my life that I can pour on the sweet syrup of friendship and love into. That's what I love in my life. It's what makes me happy. It is a gift. I feel very lucky that even though my big heart sometimes gets crushed, sometimes it also swells with the generous offerings my loves share with me. 

What is your gift? Share it willingly, unafraid, and fully committed.

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. -Kahlil Gibran

The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention -Richard Moss

Time is your most precious gift because you only have a set amount of it. You can make more money, but you can't make more time. When you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of your life that you'll never get back. Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your time.  -Rick Warren

No comments: