Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Tick tock goes the clock

This past weekend, I was running (literally) to catch the train so I could go from Brooklyn to the Upper East Side in 45 minutes. I knew it was nearly impossible, but I had to try to be at work on time. The first train was fine, except it started to run local. Then after a few stops it ran express and my anxiety was relieved. Once I got to the station where I needed to change trains, the next train arrived at the platform. As I got on, I heard the conductor say, "This train will now run express". Ugh! I just needed to go two stops on the local. So, I get off the train. I'm fuming. I check my watch. I'm already five minutes late. I could feel the anxiety growing. Five minutes later, when the proper train arrives, I run on, and a big grin filled my face. On the train was this mom with a big 'ol Kermit the Frog knitted hat. We immediately started chatting and she said she had found one for her and one for her baby, but the baby often will say, "No Kermie!".  I showed her my dorky Kermit pictures and we shared Kermit stories. As I left, she said how nice it was to brighten someone's day. Once I saw her and started chatting, I realized, sometimes life is all about timing. If that earlier train had been one that I could have taken, I wouldn't have met that kind and cute woman who made my day.


“Patience is power.
Patience is not an absence of action;
rather it is "timing"
it waits on the right time to act,
for the right principles
and in the right way.”
-Fulton J. Sheen

 I know I need to chill out a bit more and just relax in all aspects of my life--work, love, friendships.
 I need to realize that when the timing is right, everything will work out as it is supposed to. 

“Your best work involves timing. If someone wrote the best hip hop song of all time in the Middle Ages, he had bad timing.” -Scott Adams

If the timing's right and the gods are with you, something special happens. -Rick Springfield


Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over.  -Octavia Butler


You cannot afford to wait for perfect conditions. Goal setting is often a matter of balancing timing against available resources. Opportunities are easily lost while waiting for perfect conditions.-Gary Ryan Blair


I love the idea of "the one" but I actually believe that there isn't a Miss Right. There are 12,000 Miss Rights out there and it's all timing. -Matthew Perry

No comments: